About Lanckorona

Lanckorona is situated on the Carpathian foothills of the Polish Beskidy range, 38 km to the south of Krakow. The region’s uniqueness stems from its old wooden architecture, spectacular rural landscape and rich biodiversity which is preserved in forest that grows on the slopes of the Castle Mount overlooking Lanckorona, on farms and in old gardens. The area has ideal conditions for outdoor activities, with numerous walking and cycling possibilities.

Founded around the 12th century, it was granted town rights in 1361 by King Kazimierz the Great, and from 1366 started to develop rapidly as a result of a number of privileges. The later history of Lanckorona was closely linked with events which have deeply influenced the whole region: the Swedish invasion in 1655 and the partition of Poland. Lanckorona lost its importance at the beginning of the 20th century. After the Second World War, the village with its medieval layout and well preserved wooden architecture was designated a cultural monument. Buildings occupying the centre of the village are regarded as the most beautiful example of traditional wooden architecture in Poland. In 1999 UNESCO added Lanckorona Hill with its medieval castle ruins on to its World Heritage Sites list.

Points of interest in the center of Lanckorona:

*Prof. Krajewski Museum and Main Market Place in Lanckorona

The Museum was established in 1967 by the Friends of Lanckorona Association. It is situated in a wooden building which survived a fire that took place in 1868. There are many exhibits inside – objects presenting everyday life of Lanckoronian citizens, mainly from the beginning of the 20th century, excavations from the Castle Ruins, and a model of the Main Market Place from before the tragic fire.

The Main Market Place with its 9.5% slope is the steepest main market place on the Amber Trail. Its frontages are decorated with wooden houses from 1868 – 72, with characteristic hallways and big door-gates. Houses are situated close to each other, separated by narrow passages called ‘miedzuchy’. Pedimental-frontal roofs covered with wooden shingles create deep arcades that were used by merchands to display their goods during ancient fairs.

*St John’s Church

Founded by King Kazimierz the Great in 1359, St. John’s Church has been reconstructed many times, particularly in the 16th century. The original gothic style can still be found in the main structure of the building and its view. The interior decoration presents renaissance and baroque styles. The early baroque high altar with a wealth of ornaments presents the baptism of Christ. It is one of the most valuable examples of early baroque art in the Malopolska region. The Presbytery complex situated at the western side of the Church used to be made up of the main presbytery house, granary, woodhouse, pond and a barn, which were the first victims of the tragic 1868 fire.

*Castle Ruins on the Lanckorna Mount (550 m above sea level.)

Established in 1359 at the place of a former watch-tower from 13th century,the Castle was extended by numerous succeeding owners of the Lanckoronian lands. Surrounded by a moat with a drawbridge, the Castle was made up of a courtyard, chapel and household lodgings. According to some ancient stories there were secret underground passages linking the Castle with the Main Market Place in Lanckorona. The Castle was the centre of the resistance movement place of the Barski Confederates. After the Confederation it was occupied by the Austrians, who turned it into a jail. The Castle fell into ruin at the turn of the 18th century. In 1999 the Castle Ruins entered the UNESCO World Heritage Site list within the Kalwaria Zebrzydowska cultural landscape area.

*Old-fashioned villas in Lanckorona

Villas from 1920s and 1930s - were built mainly in the so-called ‘Zakopane’ style with the purpose to accommodate tourists. The most famous old-fashioned wooden pensions include: ‘Willa Róż’, ‘Gąsiorówka’, ‘Tadeusz’, ‘Modrzewiówka’, ‘Zbyszek’, ‘Wrzos’, ‘Słoneczna’, ‘Widok’, ‘Bajka’ and ‘Zamek’.

Exploring Lanckorona

* By foot or cross-country skis: 3 hiking trails and 5 walking trails around the Lanckorona Mount

* By bike: network of Amber cycle trails with a main red cycle trail traversing the entire district of Lanckorona.

Tourist accommodation: 230 beds in guest houses, youth hostel and private rooms




Design by Mateo Zar�ba